1.23.2007

Stalled Peace Talks

As my Uganda trip came to an end, so did the Juba Peace Talks as Joseph Kony decided that the Sudan government was too corrupt to hold the peace talks in Juba anymore. He has since demanded that the peace talks be moved, his suggestion, Kenya or South Africa.

After so much hope expressed by the people of Uganda, particularly in the North, this is disheartening and disappointing for all Ugandans and for the anyone who cares about the safety and well being of Northern Uganda. For me personally, I would be devastated to see war break out again in Northern Uganda where I've seen the faces of hope in person. I've never met people who have been through so much grief and trauma who can still smile, sing and rejoice in life as the Ugandans do. The spirit of Africa is a miracle for a country that's been so devastated so much over the years and are an inspiration to me.

I've tried to start a thoughtful blog on my trip to Uganda many times and have faltered. Where to begin with an issue 20 years in the making and with an experience too profound for words? I finally decided to approach it in an organized systematic way that hopefully will not seem so overwhelming to me. I journaled nearly everyday while in Uganda and I'll follow my journal and blog about the more interesting points that I journaled about. I'll start tomorrow with Day 1: Arrival into the country and continue with my Uganda Series until I've exhausted my journal pages and made you all so knowledgeable about Uganda you'll feel as if you've been there.

As I blog about Uganda, please let me know if you have any thoughts or questions on the subject. I'm deeply interested in an interactive discussion of all things Uganda. I've become quite obsessed, more so than before and anybody who knew me before probably already thought I was a nut about Uganda. Now that I've tasted the Pearl of Africa, my mouth yearns for the sweetness and my tongue flicks at the slightest whiff of anything Uganda.

For more up-to-date news on the Juba Peace talks please visit Uganda-CAN.

Also, a very provocative and controversial article, thanks to In An African Minute for the link. I'm curious to people's thoughts on this article.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Krecker said...

I'm really looking forward to hearing everything about your trip, and about your thoughts on the future of Africa.

We have a number of the Lost Boys of Sudan working at our hospital, as well as refugees from Bosnia, Cambodia and other countries at war past or present. Every time I talk to one of them, my heart breaks a tiny bit more with the thoughts of what they've been through.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online