10.27.2006

mai wen and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Okay, so yesterday was the day from hell for me. First, I was a victim of a Paypal Phising Scheme and unwittingly (Really unwittingly) gave out my personal banking information. Argh, I know better than that, but I was tricked and luckily I was suspicious immediately and did some quick research and found out that it was indeed a fraud. I Never knew that you shouldn't open links to secure places such as Paypal from the email but instead should open a separate browser and type in the url directly. Now I know. So yesterday was a mess of getting my poor husband (who shared the account with me that I had given information out on) to meet me at our bank to open a new checking account, blah blah blah and all the mess that comes with that stupid mistake of mine. Let me tell you, it's a headache!

To add to my terrible, horrible day was the fact that I had to get my shots for Africa yesterday, and I Hate shots! So I went, already knowing that my insurance won't cover it because it doesn't cover any travel health issues, to be shocked to find out how much shots cost! I got six shots (yikes, my arms seriously still hurt, A Lot) and it cost $575!!! Yeah, hubby and I were not happy about that, especially since I have to go back for boosters. This trip to Africa is already costing me a bundle since I have to pay for everything myself, but the shots are killing me, and I even didn't get some of the ones that were suggested but not mandatory because of cost. The sad thing about the non-profit industry now-a-days is that fundraising is at an all time low right now and while most non-profits that dealt with sending volunteers overseas in the past used to cover either all or part of the expenses for their volunteers through fundraising, now it's just not possible because non-profits can barely raise enough money to stay running and to keep their programs going. So the volunteers must make up for the lack of fundraising and pay for the costs themselves, and it's killing me. I don't think I've ever been so stressed about money in my life, but what are you going to do? This is a once in a lifetime experience that will hopefully propel me into my goal career, working with refugees of war. Of course it had to come right before a longtime planned trip to Europe (which the tickets are already bought!) and right before a big planned move to where ever I go to school!

So not only did I give access to my main bank account away yesterday but I spent a buttload of money to be poked with needles and to have sore arms. Yesterday stunk and my poor hubby not only had to deal with the money issues that I've created in our life but also with a depressed, stressed out wife. Poor boy, and he even drew me a bath which saved my life.

Oh and of course today this woman I work with who barely touches me slapped me twice on my arm (in a friendly manner) where I got three of my shots and it killed me, but I didn't want to say anything because it's still on the down low that I'm going to Africa. So now my sore arm has become a throbbing sore arm.

Did I mention it's raining? Rain sucks.

I miss college where I had girlfriends to talk to right down the street and could just go over with a tub of ice cream and curl up on their couch for an hour for a good cry if I needed it. Thank god I have a great girlfriend at work that I went out to lunch with for a much needed girlfriend time, it's something I need just as much if not more as my hubby time. There's nothing in the world like your girlfriends!

I know this was a really whiny post, sorry, it happens.

P.S. Last night I determined that perhaps it's not the best idea to read Russian novels while in a depressive state of mind. I'm very deep into Crime and Punishment and am loving it but yesterday it was a bit much for me. Note to self, must go to cheerful reads when depressed. I guess that's why I have the habit of reading mutliple books at once, my mood changes daily and so does my mood for what I want to read. Isn't it wonderful being a hormonal woman? Men, please don't answer. I may have to smack you if you do.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear mai wen: at least that day is over and done with.

I can recommend some kind and gentle reading: Celestine Hitiura Vaite's books about Tahiti. They remind me of the Alexander McCall Smith No.1 Ladies Detective Agency series.

Nothing like a bit of comfort reading.

mai wen said...

Thanks so much for the recommendation! I definitely need some light reading. Things have gotten a little better in the following days, but still stressful. I'm just ready to go to Africa, move and go back to school already! I feel like all the planning and budgetting is more stressful than Actually doing it! Hopefully after all these big changes there won't be any for a lonnnng time.

s.w. vaughn said...

Oh man, what a day! Scammers are the scum of the earth. And you're going to Africa? Cool!

LOVE the title of this post, btw...

Hope your arms are feeling better!

Anonymous said...

Some men like being smacked by women, but I won't go there.

Here's hoping things look up for you, Mai. Sorry about the shots and sorry about the bastard scammer.

mai wen said...

Thanks Vaughn, surprisingly my arms didn't start feeling better until Sunday night! Who knew getting 6 shots at once hurt so much?? I'm so excited to go to Africa, it helps if I focus on that instead of all the stuff I still need to do beforehand!

Haha, Bill, sounds like you have some personal knowledge on men enjoying a little smack attack from women... but I won't got there either. Things are definitely looking up and I made sure to have a good relaxing weekend with friends and hubby, went to some haunted houses so I could scream my stress out. :)

Renée said...

Hi Mai,
Sorry about your shit day!
For what it's worth, I spent about six months in Africa and was able to get any shots or boosters I needed while over there. Kampala was a good place to get yellow fever shots, sooooo many villages have little pharmacies for malaria tablets and gastro etc.
I know, I know, oooooh, how can I get a shot in Africa when there's so much HIV, but trust me, they were completely professional and showed me the sealed syringes, vials and everything. The UN can put you onto a UN endorsed practitioner.
And the cost is so very little compared to what you're paying now.
Often I find our GPs incite a lot of fear into all the diseases we can pick up in third world countries and over subscript for medication.
Sure, be cautious, but not alarmed. You'll be fine:)

mai wen said...

Thanks so much for all the tips! Six months in Africa, that's incrediably brave, I really admire you! I lucked out and a friend just went to Thailand and had some leftover malaria pills and she gave them to me, so I only need maybe a weeks worth now. Those suckers were expensive too. Yeah, my doc definitely seemed to be overcautious, saying I should bring thermaflu?? I'm not sure why, but I think I'll pass on that. I'm excited, I'm sure I'll be fine. At least most of the shots are over, I have to get one more booster shot though for hepititis a and b, blah.

Where in Africa did you go other than Kampala?? What did you do there?

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online