6.20.2006

The Book Buzzzzzz

The Millions has posted a list of the most anticipated books of 2006, part 2. Most notable to me is All Aunt Hagar's Children by Edward P. Jones. The title story appeared in the New Yorker. I'm currently reading The Known World and absolutely love his voice and his style. He writes simply, which puts all the more impact on his deeper meanings and the conflicting, contradicting relationships that he strings through his novel. Of course I'm eager for Charles Frazier long awaited second novel, Thirteen Moons. Frazier once again shows his interest in American history by taking us to nineteenth-century America, where a 12-year-old boy becomes intertwined with the Cherokee Indians' homeland and culture. Frazier's depth of plot and story line from Cold Mountain should carry over to this novel to create an enriching, deep, and strongly written second novel. Dave Eggers, editor of McSweeney's, is coming out with a based on true events book called What is the What. Eggers takes the reader to Sudan through the eyes of a young boy, whom Eggers returns to the Sudan with as an adult. Touching on civil war and connecting it to current events, such as the devastation in Darfur, this sounds like an exciting, adventurous and heart tearing read. Restless by William Boyd is a World War II novel, following a female spy. I love World War II novels, and for how many I've read, I'm excited to read one with a different story to tell about the well-known war. Also listed is Chabon's The Yiddish Policemen's Union, even though it will not actually be released until May 2007, so it doesn't quite fit the '2006' aspect of the list, but to be fair, the release date of the book has been pushed back. Anything written by Chabon promises to be exciting and original. I mean, the title alone stirs up intrigue, what a great word is 'Yiddish,' it just makes me want to drink the book up. Some posts on the book: 1, 2, 3.

Notably Not included on the list is Paint it Black by Janet Fitch, her follow up novel to the acclaimed White Oleander. I found White Oleander a haunting, magical and harsh glimpse in the life of a girl going through the foster care system. It was real and daring, especially for a first novel. So I can't wait to see what Fitch has brought to her second novel, set in the '80s. Also missing is The Blue Taxi by N.S. Koenings which is set in East Africa and getting a lot of buzz around the circuit. Then We Came to the End by Joshua Ferris, while due to be released in March 2007, since they included Chabon's 2007 release, should have been included on the list. This debut novel about life in the office is getting "worldwide buzz" and I can't wait to read it! I can't tell if it's going to be Office Spaceish or what, but having to be confined to the dreaded cube 40 hours a week will surely help me appreciate the finer delicacies in the book... and by the time the book is released hopefully I'll be far far away from anything even resembling a cube so I can more gleefully enjoy the tortures of office life. (More details on that to come...) Though I guess I can thank my job for giving me the time to read blogs and write my own blog.

Let me know what book publications you are anticipating. The more books to add to my wish list the happier I am.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to much lighter summer reading Twelve Sharp by Janet Evanovich. If you need a laugh, Ms. Evanovich is great at that. I am really looking forward to spending my Borders gift certificate on Danse Macabre by Laurell K. Hamilton. Hardcover will be out next week. Smile my friend.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online