5.09.2007

Everybody, Get A Life!

I had a girlfriend a few years back who constantly gave me crap for liking the Steelers and more specifically Ben. She was working in Findley, but hadn't grown up there, and was always telling me everyone said he was a jerk and she heard he was a womanizer, etc. I never really paid attention to her because people gossip and to me gossip is as empty as air. But what did bug me was that when he came home the summer after his rookie year she was calling me in the middle of the night gushing, "Oh my gosh, I just saw Ben at a bar. Now I'm going to this other bar I heard he went!" Then later called him a jerk because apparently she was yelling at him to get him to talk to her while he was talking to somebody else and his body guards had to ask her to leave him alone. Later she found out he was talking to an old high school friend. So anyways, people are fickle and in many ways seem to be desperate to be associated with someone "famous" because that will make you suddenly important. The stories that flew from my friend's mouth of her friends who hooked up with Ben and whatnot were ridiculous and sad. I really didn't care about which bar Ben drank at or who he may or may not have hooked up with, but it was disappointing to see a friend grasp at fame in that way.

Well, looks like she's not the only one, and at least her grasping was with the real Ben. It disturbs me how desperately I feel our society clings to celebrities, it's like a high school popularity contest or something. I sympathize with the girls who were duped by Jackson, but you truly had to be desperate to think that man even looked like a football player. I'd heard about this guy before, but ESPN was nice enough to put all of his offenses in one nice article.

As for Jackson, WTF dude, get a life. YOUR OWN!

1 comment:

Sandra Ruttan said...

"It disturbs me how desperately I feel our society clings to celebrities, it's like a high school popularity contest or something. "

Oh yeah, I hear you on that.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online