4.01.2008

A Wrinkle in Time: A Review

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle has been a warm fuzzy memory from my childhood for a while. I was fearful of rereading it because it had inspired such awe and inspiration for me as a child, I was afraid it'd lose that magic. Much to my pleasure, it was just as amazing as I remembered, and perhaps even more so with the growth of my knowledge in child literature.

To say that A Wrinkle in Time is innovative is an understatement, especially keeping in mind the time period it was written in (1959-1960, published in 1962 after nearly 30 rejections). The ideas are unique and push the limits of your mind (well, at least my mind, but my mind is quite limited when it comes to science), in such a way that as the introduction by Anna Quindlen says, I still don't completely understand the concepts of the book. The characters are strong and memorable, as well as faulty and realistic. One of my favorite parts of the book is when Meg is given the gift of her faults, what an elegant way to tell children to accept yourself, faults and all?

L'Engle created a beautiful and challenging book for children that can still strike awe and inspiration in adults as it did with me. I never read the rest of the books in the Time trilogy, but I've purchased them and they are waiting dutifully in my TBR stack. I can't wait!

5*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever read, Captain from Castille? It is also a classic read, and when you compare it to Twain's Huckleberry Fin, you will see the parallel between the Inquisition and the acquisition of the new world, and Huck's simple, yet eloquent writings.

Sher

Anonymous said...

P.S. Please excuse the misspelling of Fin. Huckleberry FinN

Sher

mai wen said...

I haven't read or even heard of Captain from Castille! I looked it up on Amazon, definitely looks like an oldy, but a goody! I'll have to get my hands on a copy, thanks so much for the suggestion!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online